Turkey, Mushroom & Spinach Lasagna
Lasagna is one of those foods you crave constantly when trying to lose weight, but never feel like it’s ok to eat, because it’s so calorie and fat laden. Now, you can finally have it and lose fat!
This lasagna is huge, so be prepared for lots of food that you can actually eat – Extra lean ground turkey keeps this recipe tight and skinny, but the seasoning make it perfectly indulgent. Mushrooms will add to the meaty and tender flavor and provide more bulk, and spinach adds a touch of freshness without making the whole thing taste too vegetable-y. Pepperoni adds just a bit of spice and a subtle flavor .
- 1 pound extra-lean Ground Turkey
- ½ teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 package (about 8 ounces) Crimini Mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups Baby Spinach
- 4 cups Marinara Sauce (I like Casa Visco, get the 32 ounce jar)
- 4 ounces Turkey Pepperoni, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 12 no-boil Lasagna Noodles (from a 9-ounce box)
- 15 ounces Fat Free Ricotta
- 1 cup shredded Part Skim Mozzarella
- Fresh Basil
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Mix the ground turkey, fennel, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. Add to a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently until no longer pink. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add oil to the skillet. When the oil is hot, add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until the onion is soft – about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted – about 2 minutes. Stir in the turkey.
- Spread 1 cup of sauce in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Cover with 4 lasagna noodles, overlapping as needed. Layer half of the filling on top of the noodle, then layer with half the ricotta. Top with 1 cup of sauce, half the pepperoni, and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. Add another layer of noodles and repeat the filling, ricotta, and sauce layers. Top with remaining noodles and sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and basil.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20 minutes, or until noodles are soft and mozzarella has browned. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before slicing.